Friday, December 14, 2007

No squid? I'm disappointed

Today's strip is actually quite appropriate for this time of year--a party! Whee! I'm just having a hard problem figuring out the point. Loopina brought all of her favorite foods, and people are complaining about individual dishes. I...what? I guess maybe it should've been potluck, but people would probably still object to some of the dishes. And the thing is, the complaints (too spicy, too salty, two vegetarians, no fish, no sugar) each apply to only a few of the dishes. Too spicy? Well, have the ham. No salt? Try the turkey. No fish? Ham or turkey. No sugar? Skip dessert. I imagine that the side dishes are mostly vegetarian. It's not like none of these people can eat, and Loopina will have to lug this food home. I guess she doesn't want people whining? Hey, I thought that was what family reunions were about.

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

At 4:11 PM, Blogger Kaitlyn said...

My favorite part?

These two complaints/dietary issues cracked me up:

"Uh -- My doctor says no meat for me..."

and

"My M.D. has me on all-veggy diet..."

They both say the same thing, but the only words in common are "my" and "me"!

If I had dietary restrictions like that, I'd bring a damn sandwich just in case.

Oh - "fish gives me hives"? Love it. Along with "Comes it the time".

 
At 4:17 PM, Blogger Barb said...

I love how both people can't eat because their doctors told them not to; it can't be that people just choose be vegetarians!

 
At 7:33 PM, Blogger Kaitlyn said...

People? Abandoning meat by CHOICE? Are you MAD?

But just because Person A can't eat X, doesn't mean that Person B can't eat it.

It would be better in 2 panels - the whining family, Loopina sighing and thinking 'u-l-p-p! Leftovers until next reunion!' in the first panel, and an empty table and the whining people complimenting the mean 'best I ever ate, etc, etc.'

"The urge to reheat!"

 
At 8:36 PM, Blogger Scott H. said...

Technically "no meat" isn't the exact same thing as "all-veggy" - the former implies that eggs, dairy, grains, etc. are all allowed.

But seems what they have here is a failure to communicate. You'd think all these people with dietary restrictions would have notified Loopina ahead of time if she was the designated cook. (Perhaps she should be aware of such restrictions as well, but it seems much less of a burden for the folks with a problem to call her than in is for her to check with everyone)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home