Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Some days you just can't get rid of a bomb

I hope everyone noted that Monday's strip--the somewhat meta one--was submitted by a Comics Curmudgeon reader. Good job! And judging from the comments over there, it seems like a lot of readers are submitting ideas. Which makes me wonder how many of these are meant sincerely and how many are meant ironically?

Take today's strip (please!). I can only assume that the submitter is the same commenter who commented recently that he thought his idea would be published soon. Congrats! (And Matt, if you still have the e-mail with what you told Al, I'd love to see it. It seems he's pretty good about using ideas almost exactly.) I can't imagine that Matt is shocked that young boys are amused by violence, but become all cranky about it when they get old. Although Alonzo sure has gotten cranky, if a simple Batman-style punch ("Pow!") causes him to rant about violence.

I am impressed with the use of the name "Alonzo." I mean, that's a real name. Not terribly common, but better than "Arfo."

Of course, that was squandered by "when he was a kid at the every-Saturday matinee cartoons." I realize that "weekly" is just too basic, but could that sentence be any more awkward? Or just "when he was a kid at the matinee cartoons every Saturday"?

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At 5:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes I do have the exact e-mail. Here goes:

"Hey Al-
Ever notice how senior citizens are always talking about the violence in kids' cartoons? I recently saw a DVD of very old cartoons, and they are some of the most violent things out there!
Just a thought,
Matt Catalano,
Delmar, NY"

He then e-mailed me back about a week later to ask for my complete address, so I gave it to him, and a couple of weeks later I got a copy of the print in the mail, with a note saying that it would be published on March 7, 2007.

Unfortunately, I couldn't get my hands on a newspaper copy, but I appreciate your help just the same.

 
At 12:05 PM, Blogger Barb said...

But hey, you got a copy of the print, which is pretty cool. Good job!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home