Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Oh no, not those horrible classic films!

I can hardly focus on the content of today's strip, as I'm totally blown away by Scaduto's knowledge of the current technology. Not only is he aware of it, but he apparently understands it! Big screen, HD, digital sound, DVD...all correct. Amazing! It's a good thing he didn't include "plasma," because I probably would've had a heart attack right here.

But as for the content, well, what's wrong with getting a big ol' tv and watching old movies on it? The DVD is necessary, obviously, to watch the old movies (one cannot live by TCM alone), and the digital sound makes that better. I don't understand why wanting to watch an old movie on a big tv is bad. And why the ragging on silent movies? I love running across those late at night. I find them fascinating.

Really, the mom and kid shouldn't be complaining. Does the dad stop them from using the television? I assume not; the video game console is probably for the son. Seriously, why the annoyance? Why deride movies for being cheaper 40 years ago? That doesn't make the movies worse. (And weren't most movies in color by 1966?) Why is the dog upset about this?

I don't totally not understand the concept. My parents, for example, just bought an high-def tv. For the most part, they watch the news. But they do watch some sports, so I suppose it'll go to some good use. But I admit that my first reaction when my mom told me was, "Huh? Why?"

Anyway, he's happy with his purchase. Assuming that buying this isn't keeping the family from eating, shut up, family.

3 Comments:

At 6:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, Barb: Not only were most pictures in color by '66 but the price of admission was more than 25 cents. Scaduto is still in some warp of the space-time continuum -- this looks like it was supposed to be referring to the 40's. Maybe "60 years ago" wouldn't work unless this was the kid's grandfather.
Now if Pop spent all his time watching the Weather Channel, huh? -- wha?
Oh, yeah!

 
At 11:47 AM, Blogger Dave said...

I just have to note that Dad here is the very first TDIET character I have ever seen that looks happy. contented. truly at peace. My favorite DVD purchase has been a collection of Abbott and Costello movies. And crisp, high def transfers of old black and white stock rocks, man.

 
At 7:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"I don't understand why wanting to watch an old movie on a big tv is bad."
This TDIET rings very true to my experience. There are a lot of people that really can't grasp the significance of improvement in quality offered by modern technology. After decades of watching movies on tv, they filter out scratches, faded color, etc., and what a film buff salutes as a "pristine print" doesn't register as anything different to their eyes than a 15 year-old VHS tape of the same movie. To them, there is no discernible difference between watching a meticulously-restored DVD of an old movie and watching it aired on the local station in 1967. I guess that's because they're following the story, not wasting their time admiring the "crisp contrast" or listening to the "Dolby sound" or noticing all that stuff on the edges of the picture that didn't show anything important anyway, so why can't they just fill up the whole screen with the good stuff like they used to?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home