Thursday, October 19, 2006

Mmm, cars

Wow. It seems that the POX-TV reporter in today's strip is speaking in verse. Awesome! I'm almost willing to overlook the fact that I'm not sure it makes sense. Can a transmission have faulty remission? And why is this enough to make a child cry? I'm sure the kid doesn't even care, really. (And is it just me, or does it seem like the kid is too young to be the son of the main character?)

I suppose it would be frustrating to buy a car (though I doubt I'd say, "I'm so lucky to have this car!") and then have it be recalled. Except that recalls are free. They're a bit inconvenient, but that's all. I've had my car for 2 years and it's had two recalls. Do I think the car is a piece of crap because of that? Hardly. I love my car.

What does "free driving" mean? Driving really isn't free, ever. You're paying for the car, the gas, the maintenance, etc. I guess he meant a free test drive, but that's sure not what he actually wrote. I'm also not going to contemplate what "trouble-free engineering" is.

Of course, I was also smart enough not to buy an "Oatmobile." Well, you have to think that having an edible car would come in handy.

3 Comments:

At 5:21 PM, Blogger Louise said...

That sales pitch is right out of the 50's! Today's car ads are flashy footage of curvy roads, not some "spokesman" touting the engineering marvels.

By the way, if you re-read the last line, it is "care-free driving" not "free driving." At least that phrase makes sense...

Love your blog, read it daily!

 
At 10:05 AM, Blogger Barb said...

You're right. I'm an idiot. ;) Thanks! It's always nice to learn that the strip isn't as bad as I thought. And perhaps this should teach me to spend more than a couple minutes on this.

 
At 12:26 AM, Blogger Frankie Machine said...

Scaduto is a sucker for the media's lies.
Assuming the father hasn't changed the channel, do you really think a news channel would report negative news about one of its advertisers?

If you do, have I got a deal for you on a bridge in Brooklyn.

Poor, poor Scaduto. Just a stooge of The Man.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home