Monday, December 17, 2007

It's no worse than the "Armada"

Today's strip confronts the issue of the environment. Huzzah for being topical, I say. It does play into my guilt that I don't use reusable bags. However, I drive a Prius. I'm hoping that makes me better than Gus Greenearth, who hopefully realized the irony of his name when he bought his "'conservation' gas-guzzling huge SUV." I...don't understand the "conservation" there. It's not an adjective. Unless...the SUV is called a "Conservation"? Wow. That'd take some balls on the auto-maker's part.

I also think the kid would've seen the problem in the top panel. He did, presumably, drive to the grocery store in that SUV.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

At 2:48 PM, Blogger Scott H. said...

I use canvas bags but admittedly drive a regular old sedan (but not an SUV). Unfortunately it's near impossible to live in the modern world and be truly "environmentally correct." I guess it's Gus's smugness that puts it over the top, like the folks who buy their organic and earth-friendly groceries at the natural foods market and then load 'em in the guzzler to take home to the McMansion.

 
At 3:23 PM, Blogger Kaitlyn said...

I think the use of 'conservation' is a joke on Al's part - especially since it's in quotation marks.

What I love? In the text, he's at the sooper-market, but there's a supermarket in the picture!

It really is his smugness. But hey, he's using cloth bags so he's done his part for the environment and doesn't need to do anything else.

Does any sooper-market have the option of paper or plastic anymore? I think the base commissary does, but that's it.

And now I feel bad for not using canvas bags. But I recycle my paper! (Paper recycling bins all over campus.)

Of course, I don't act like I'm better than everyone, and I know I can do a lot to clean up my act. I do reuse the plastic bags that aren't broken or dirty.

 
At 2:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My favorite part is the kid saying "Uh.. Oh, yeah!" like he's just learning that Scadutoism and wants to make sure he gets it right.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home