Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Leadbutt's retirement plan sounds good to me

I totally have Leadbutt's back in today's strip. When I retired, darn tootin' I just want to sit around all day and watch tv. That sounds awesome. But look at the devil eyes his wife is giving him! I mean, I can understand how it'd be annoying, but that's not just annoyance or even disgust--that's full-out loathing.

And really, I'm with him in the bottom panel, too. I might not go on and on about my plans, but I'd probably say something other than, "Great! I sit around all day and do nothing, kids. It's awesome." And notice that Leadbutt never actually says that he's keeping busy with travel and hobbies and bowling; he just says that it's the key to a happy retirement. It's classic. It sounds like you're talking about yourself, but you're technically not. And perhaps someday he will do those things; if he's recently retired, maybe he just wants to relax for a while before formulating any big plans.

So, basically, shut up, Mrs. Leadbutt. (And your shirt in the bottom panel is awful.)

Labels: , , ,

4 Comments:

At 3:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is it my imagination, or did Scaduto recycle the TV image of a leering doctor -stacked nurse from an earlier strip?

At any rate, Mrs. Leadbutt should chill. If her husband is truly inactive to the point of gathering cobwebs, he'll probably whither away and die soon, leaving her with one less thing to dust.

 
At 3:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the wardrobe change between the two panels.

 
At 3:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like the cobwebs, and I believe this is the second time they've appeared in a relatively short timespan.

An even more classic cartoon way of showing that a long time has elapsed without any change happening -- although I don't recall Scaduto ever doing this -- is when an absurdly long Rip-Van-Winkle-esque beard appears on one of the characters.

For instance, in order to show that a restaurant patron has to wait a long time to get a server to take his order, you show him as clean-shaven when he first arrives at his table, and then in panel 2, the waiter is taking the order but customer now has a long beard, and is saying something clever like "It's about time!" Comedy gold, I tells ya.

 
At 5:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This strip is appropriate for "Living on the Edge" status.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home