Friday, October 27, 2006

At least it's timely, what with the stock markets breaking records and such

In today's strip, I guess Groner was just supposed to say something generic about the state of the stock market (e.g., "Great! It's just going higher and higher!") and then drop the topic. Nothing that he's saying is complete nonsense, though I've never really heard the market spoken of in terms like that. Or maybe it's just that I'm used to tuning out as soon as I hear words like "bullish," thanks to years of living with a father who works with the stock market. It just turns into a humming noise if you try hard enough. (Love ya, Dad!)

What is really rude is that guy in the back who's blathering nonsense ("He's the guy who can throw it, but I mean like good!"). I'm hoping that the woman next to him in staring at him in horror, not at Groner. I mean, Groner might be boring and oblivious, but this guy is the real jackass. Scaduto, just use an exposition box.

Does it seem odd to anyone else that Groner seems to the focus of everyone's attention? It seems that at least a few of these people would be having side conversations of their own. And wouldn't the food table be set up in the dining room, not the living room? I understand that this is supposed to be a party; but that table there--which in no way is related to the story--just looks awkward.

I almost feel like Scaduto really wanted to name the guy "Groaner," but felt that was too obvious. Which makes no sense, but still. So he went with "Groner." Which is kind of odd, because I'd divide it into syllables as gron/er, making the first syllable rhyme with "tron." I guess you could divide it as gro/ner, so it would sound like "groaner," but I don't necessarily know that that's correct. Hmm.

3 Comments:

At 3:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Someone asked Groner a question. So he answered it. Why the looks of horror and contemptuous commentary from the onlookers? WTF?

Augghh, as usual, I'm expecting this comic strip to make sense... and, as usual, it doesn't.

 
At 11:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

just taught it to my second graders today : A CVC first syllable so you divide right after the first vowel leaving an "open syllable", hence a long o sound,
glad I could be such help.

 
At 5:24 AM, Blogger Kaitlyn said...

"He's the guy who can throw it, but I mean like good!"

That's not nonsense, he's saying Groner can throw the BS around, meaning Groner's usually full of it and is boring everyone to tears and has no idea what he's saying.


No idea why it's as large as groner's stock market balloon...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home