Tuesday, November 14, 2006

I'd pack it in at 30 if that were an option

Are you kidding me? Today's strip is another about retirement. It we see three more of these, I'm going to get annoyed that he didn't just run them Monday through Friday and make it retirement week.

The most remarkable thing about this strip--which has the same physical configuration of an office as a much earlier strip that I am far too lazy to track down at the moment--is the office it's set in. The woman in the back has a typewriter on her desk. A typewriter. Al, I thought we had moved beyond this. You started to acknowledge things like HDTV and cell phones. There was progress. OK, I'll give you a tip: Nobody has a typewriter on their desk at work. I'm not saying that nobody uses a typewriter. But nowadays, we all have these wacky computer things and if you work in an office, you have one on your desk. I want to say that we have seen computers in this strip, but I'm not 100% sure of that.

Has anyone ever used the phrase "until rocks get soft"? Do rocks even get soft? Ever? Don't they just break down and become dust? At least the woman's comment (about the office boy retiring) makes sense.

I will give Mr. Bidworth of Cincinnati this--yes, that would be annoying. You're not wrong. But the fact that this happened makes me think there's a reason good ol' Len isn't retiring. Maybe he can't afford to, I don't know. But I have a feeling there's something here that isn't being said. And I kind of love how the blonde woman is horrified by the fact that he isn't retiring--to the point that she's stuttering.

And you can tell that this is something they'll do "every time" from the guy in the back saying "Here we go again." This is clearly a situation that the office workers have dealt with numerous times.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

At 2:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If we'd only privatize social security, everyone would be able to retire at age 65!

 
At 6:38 PM, Blogger Chance said...

The horror. The horror.

This is clearly an office absolutely crammed with recalitrant oldsters refusing to move on and let the new guns take over. "Out of the way, Gramps! You're hogging all the jobs!"

"well, I ain't retirin' today, so stow it, sonny!"

 
At 9:56 PM, Blogger Frankie Machine said...

I just realized something:
Scaduto should rename this strip "White People Will Do It Every Time."

My apologies to anyone who may have pointed this out already.

I expect Crankshaft to make a guest appearance in TDIET, as the foibles of old white people seems to be all the rage.

 
At 9:31 AM, Blogger Dave said...

I enjoy how Lastlegs here appears to be one of the youngest Scaduto characters we've seen. I mean, he's drawn looking younger than the page boy kid usually is. Of course, I think the drawing process is mostly random for Al anyway. . . .

 

Post a Comment

<< Home