Friday, March 30, 2007

Warning: Rant ahead

Wow. So much hate for today's strip. Because clearly if a child has failed English, you have to blame the teacher (who else?). And taking summer school won't help. Despite the fact that summer classes involve spending all day, every day on English, instead of 50 minutes a day. With, I believe, more personal attention. (I guess. I've never experienced it.)

Clearly it couldn't be Hekkie's fault that he failed. Look, I'm not saying that the teacher is faultless; I am just saying that she has tons of students, and probably not enough supplies. But the child doesn't flunk a course in a vacuum. He's probably not doing assignments, and his parents probably aren't checking in on him and his schoolwork. If a child just doesn't want to do the work, there's not much a teacher can do.

Can a child who is busting his butt actually fail a class? I'm not sure. If a teacher sees that a student is struggling but does actually try, will that child fail? I don't know. I could probably ask the teachers I know. I do know that when I was bombing geometry, I was still working insanely hard, and was in for extra help all the time. I pulled out a C+ (mainly due to the second semester), and was incredibly proud of that.

Anyway. It's not like Hekkie needs to be Shakespeare at the end of summer school; it's just supposed to give him the groundwork. So, shut up, M. Heffernand. And also, bite me.

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

At 12:22 PM, Blogger Kaitlyn said...

My chemistry teacher said he loved teaching summer school classes. (As long as the AC worked.)

Why? Because all you did was focus on one subject for four hours a day, as opposed to 45 minutes.

He said those that failed and those that wanted to take it during the summer to graduate early both loved it and both did great in it - as long as you want to.

Summer school's also better for special ed students, because they usually go to a school in a richer town, with more supplies. And the ratio of student to teacher drops so you can have two adults working with one student all day, instead of 2 adults working with 15 special ed preschoolers.

I have no idea who sent that in - Hekkie's parents who don't understand summer school? Hekkie who is bitter at the thought of having to get up early during his summer vacation?

You know it wasn't sent in by a teacher.

 
At 2:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ol' Leadbutt complains up and down about the quality of education young Hekkie is getting. But when someone proposes a tax raise to fund better schools, just listen to him change his tune.

Oh yeah!

 
At 3:17 PM, Blogger Kaitlyn said...

Scott, I sent that very idea in in February or January! (My sent mail folder pnly goes back to March 3rd.)

No reply from ol' leadbutt.

 
At 8:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree. M. Heffernand of St. Louis, Mo. is an idiot.

 
At 4:01 AM, Blogger meep said...

Well, I guess he would've liked the alternative: doing the entire year over again in realtime.

Seriously, what did they think was the "right" thing to do here?

 
At 4:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Someone whose name is essentially "Heiffer-hand?" I almost smell a rat.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home